The Shambles York

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

This isn’t a long blog post but just a quick update as to what I’ve been up to recently!

Unfortunately my blog and Twitter are not apart of my full time job and I very rarely get time off from where I actually work. The very rare occasion where I did have a few days off work was a few weeks ago and I took the opportunity to travel to and spend the day in York. The weather was lovely, it was part of my mums long birthday weekend and overall it was a lovely day out and if you're a Harry Potter fan.. which most of my family are.. then York is a must see place for you to visit.



Tucked away in a side street of York is an 'oldie worldie' street known as 'The Shambles'. It has won awards for its picturesque views and it known as one of the best preserved medieval streets, where many of the buildings date back to the late fourteenth and fifteenth Century. Before The Shambles became more of a destination for tourists, it was originally a street where local butchers used to gather and sell their cuts of meat to the locals. Some of the buildings also had slaughterhouses at the back and you can still see some of the hooks where they would display and hang their meats to sell.



The street itself is a very narrow street, with cobbles and little shops on either side. The Shambles is one of the UK’s most popular visited streets which attracts tourists, shoppers and a quite a lot of school trips and now consists of souvenir shops, cafes, a bakery and a few Harry Potter themed shops. There is also an all year round Christmas shop! There is also a local market, street performers and little cafes, bars, shops and eateries close by.



Overall, I had a really nice day and the weather was amazing. It was very busy as it was nearing the end of the school summer holidays but I would definitely recommend a visit to The Shambles, or even to York itself. It’s a really nice place and a great family day out.

Have you been to York? Have you visited The Shambles? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below. 
Keep posted by following on social media: 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Ooh I went to York a few years ago and really enjoyed it, I didn't visit the shambles though so that's one for the list!

    Soph - https://sophhearts.com x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to go to the Shambles again. I went when I was young and can't really remember it! Loved the post x

    ReplyDelete